About me. Just call me "Dr. JJ."
I was born and raised in San Francisco, and moved to Los Angeles in 1983. Here I met my husband, had my son, and trained at the Keck School of Medicine at USC and completed my pediatric training at Children's Hospital of Los Angeles.
- I am a board-certified pediatrician and have taken care of children for over 30 years. I built a successful, sustainable private practice from the ground up, and retired from active practice in 2012 to pursue a second chapter in my life.
- I am a trained chef. My love of food, and my creativity in the kitchen were honed in culinary school and by taking dozens of classes over the last 3 decades. I love to cater parties and make artisan breads, one-of-a-kind ice creams and pastries.
- I am an expert. I am an on-air medical expert and cast member of Hallmark's Home and Family television show. I am frequently called upon to comment on breaking news and health issues in children and adolescents.
- I am a writer. I write for several websites, blogs and media outlets about child and adolescent health.
- I am a consultant. I lead a national Food Allergy Awareness Committee for the National Peanut Board. I have worked with other commodity boards to help the public understand health and policy issues. I am on the Advisory Boards of www.strollertraffic.com, www.scootertraffic.com, and serve as an expert for www.bandalou.com.
- I am an entrepreneur. I co-founded MD MOMS, makers of Baby Silk - the first pediatrician-developed personal care line for babies.
- I am a mom. My son is grown now, and I continue to learn from him every day. I bring a reality to advice that comes from parenting on the front lines!